Earth Hour – A global initiative by World Wide Fund For Nature ( WWF) started in 2007 – an initiative, uniting people to protect the planet. This is a time when we shut off non-essential electronics and electricity for an hour at 8:30pm local time to help raise awareness for climate change and help reduce the carbon footprint.
Le Meridien Delhi has always been a leader when it comes to social causes. Being part of the Earth Hour was one of them, where they switched off their lights on 25th of March to convey the powerful message on environmental awareness. By taking part in Earth Hour by doing something that will help combat global warming.
Some of the interesting facts about Le Meridien Delhi
The hotel strictly follows energy saving guidelines and saves nearly 300 KW of electricity by turning off lights for an hour after the observance of Earth Hour every year and has the following energy saving and environment-friendly mechanisms in place:
- 80% lighting in the hotel is through CFL and cold LED lights.
- AC plants are energy efficient as per environment ministry guidelines.
- STP plant recycles waste water for flushing toilets and is used in the cooling tower.
- A composter has been installed to recycle garbage from kitchen and restaurants and staff cafeteria. The garbage thus treated is used as high-quality manure for horticulture purpose in the hotel.
- The solar electrical system generates 259 KW of electricity per day.
- Solar heating system preheats hot water for guests of the hotel by 3 to 4 degrees thereby saving electricity use.