Rice is probably india’s most staple food. Every single indian prefer eating rice either for lunch or dinner. And if we further go to southern India or towards east – Bengal/Orissa and Bihar – It is an essential meal. Rice has always been my favorite meal. As consultant to a rice company which was planning to start their operations in saudi arabaia, I got chance to taste some international varierty too.
It is interesting to know that Saudi Arabia Is one of the largest importer of rice in the world and they import rice from various countries including India. India is one of the largest exporters to Saudi Arabia.
When I got a call from Best food people to try their premium basmati rice, I accepted it happily as I have tried varieties of rice and am aware of the quality. I got 1kg pack of their premium basmati rice(Rs 231). I prepared 2 dishes – Chicken biryani and Zarda pulao. Both of them came really well. Its long grain rice, famous for its fragrance and delicate flavor, made the dish all the more tempting. The grains of basmati rice are much longer than they are wide, and they grow even longer as they cook. They stayed firm and separate, not sticky, after cooking. Upon cooking biryani and pulao, the delicate grains expanded and stranded distinct, while exuding a delightful aroma. It was a truly, a tempting invitation for the perfect meal. Basmati is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol. Basmati has a low to medium glycemic index, meaning that energy is released at a slower, steadier rate leading to a more balanced level of energy.
Below is the recipe of Zarda Pulao.
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup sugar (can be adjusted according to own taste)
- 3 Green Cardamoms (Crushed)
- 3 Clove
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- Few Raisins
- 1 tsp chironji
- Cashew Nuts
- Few strands of saffron soaked in warm water
- Pinch of Saffron food color
- 2 tbsp Rose Water
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
- Wash the rice with soft hand twice or thrice until the water runs clear and then, soak for 15 minutes.
- Melt ghee in a cooking pan and add cloves and cardamoms, fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add rice and continue frying until all the grains are well coated with ghee.
- Pour warm water and milk over the rice and cook on low heat till it is almost done.
- Now add sugar, saffron food color, soaked saffron, nuts, raisins, rose water and cook for another 5 minutes until the rice is completely cooked.
- Fluff it up with a fork and serve.
About Best Food Ltd
Best Foods limited, one of the fastes growing and amongst the largest rice companies in india. The company brings to the consumers the finest basmati rice of unmatched quality sources straight from the foothills of the Himalayas and other prime rice growing area in india to provide an aromatic culinary experience. The company is an integrated player if rice, health and wellness and ready to eat( Indian curries, rice treats) and ready to cook simmer sauceses and pastes. Best food ltd today is the most penetrated brand available in more than 2000 modern retail format(MRF) outlet spread across india in 200+ cities in addition to 38 exclusive stand alone stores across delhi/ncr.